Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Made It- Rekenreks

 
This week I am linking up with 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It.  This week has been super busy in my household but I did find time to make a class set of Rekenreks for next year. My school has started using the Engage New York math program. (Click on the link if you want to know more!) Last year was our first year using it and even though I had digital Rekenreks to use with my Promethean board I found my first graders really needed one they could manipulate themselves; so this week I took the plunge and made my own. It wasn't as hard as I though it would be and being the non crafty person that I am; I was pretty proud of myself. 

I used crafting foam, pipe cleaners, and red and black beads. I cut the pieces of foam to approximately 4x6 to make them easier for my first graders to hold. Then I cut about 2 inches off the end of each pipe cleaner. After that it was easy to poke the pipe cleaners through the foam and string on the beads. Then I just twisted the pipe cleaner together on the back to secure it. 


This is probably the easiest project I have completed in a long time and I know it is going to make math lessons so much easier next year. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment